Saturday, November 7, 2009

30 Things About My Diabetes You May Not Know


1. The illness I live with is: Type 1 Diabetes

2. I was diagnosed with it in the year: 2005

3. But I had symptoms since: 6 months prior to diagnoses

4. The biggest adjustment I’ve had to make is: thinking about every single thing I put in my mouth.

5. Most people assume: that I can’t eat dessert or drink beer.

6. The hardest part about morning is: waking up. (has nothing to do to with my diabetes)

7. My favorite medical TV show is: Scrubs

8. A gadget I couldn’t live without is: my glucose meter. I also learned a few months ago when my pump broke that although I can live without it, it’s a pain in the ass.

9. The hardest part about nights is: getting to bed on time. It seems to make that morning thing a little better. (see #6)

10. Each day I take: insulin and vitamins.

11. Regarding alternative treatments I: don’t think there are any alternative treatments for Type 1 Diabetes.

12. If I had to choose between an invisible illness or visible I would choose: invisible, but not because I want to hide it, because I don’t want to be defined by it.

13. Regarding working and career: working in the health care industry I hear a lot of scary misconceptions about diabetes. Examples – Nurse: “make sure you manage your type 1 diabetes or it will turn into type 2.”
When discussing Ironman – Cardiologist: “I wish I could test my blood sugar during the Ironman. It’s almost like you have an advantage.”

14. People would be surprised to know: that I can eat anything they can; I just have to proactively manage my blood sugar.

15. The hardest thing to accept about my new reality has been: I can’t be quite a spontaneous as I would like to be when it comes to food and exercise.

16. Something I never thought I could do with my illness that I did was: train for an Ironman (and hopefully complete one in 15 days!)

17. The commercials about my illness: usually target type 2 diabetes, not type1.

18. Something I really miss doing since I was diagnosed is: eating at will.

19. It was really hard to have to give up: I haven’t completely given anything up. BUT it has been hard to cut back on the sweets.

20. A new hobby I have taken up since my diagnosis is: Testing my blood sugar.

21. If I could have one day of feeling normal again I would: Fortunately, diabetes has become pretty normal for me at this point. I guess I would go have a bit blowout meal and not think about it.

22. My illness has taught me: anything is possible.

23. Want to know a secret? One thing people say that gets under my skin is: Only one? Here’s a couple: #1: “Should you be eating that?” #2: “My uncle had diabetes and lost his leg!” #3: In response to telling someone I have diabetes “Oh really, sometimes I get hypoglycemic.”

24. But I love it when people: ask because they are interested, instead of assuming.

25. My favorite motto, scripture, or quote that gets me through tough times is: I can get through this!

26. When someone is diagnosed I’d like to tell them: Don’t let diabetes stop you from doing anything.

27. Something that has surprised me about living with an illness is: just when you think you have it all figured out there is something new to learn. I have also been surprised about the opportunities it has given me and the great people I have met.

28. The nicest thing someone did for me when I wasn’t feeling well was: got me some sugar at 2am when I was having a low.

29. The reason I am filling out this questionnaire is: I saw it on my teammate Jerry’s blog and though it was cool. (Modified from invisible illness week)

30. The fact that you read this list makes me feel: somewhat surprised but grateful. Thank you for your support!

4 comments:

  1. I read it! I can't wait to read your race report! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. David, We will be pulling for you on Sunday. With all that training you will do great. Get some rest and do your best and let go and enjoy!

    Uncle Emory and Aunt B

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job, David. Congratulatons on your finish! We knew you could run that distance but had no idea you could swim and bike those distances. Be proud -- you deserve it!

    Uncle Emory, Aunt B and Lyle

    ReplyDelete
  4. just found your blog...awesome! Congrats on the Ironman! Loved these questions and reading your answers. I've been type 1 since 1995 and am training for my first half marathon. Rock on!

    ReplyDelete

Feel Free to Comment