Wednesday, October 21, 2009

The 3 Day Ironman

The height of Ironman training comes at about five weeks before the big day. This past weekend was just that… the pinnacle of my Ironman training. I am currently 5 week out from the race and I have been worried and dreading this weekend since April. I completed, what my wife likes call, the 3-day Ironman.

It all started Saturday morning with a 2.4 mile open water swim (OWS). My swim training has been very minimal over the past month but I was able to match the same time I completed my last 2.4 OWS one month before. For that I give myself an A-. And to top off my A- swim I won a new Xterra wetsuit in the post race raffle. Because of this I am going to bump my grade up to an A+!

Eat…
Sleep..

I rose bright an early Sunday morning for a 112 mile bike ride follow by a five mile run.
The ride felt good and no flats. It was on the actual Ironman course. I was pleased with my time, which I’ll keep to myself for now. And my new bike fit felt great, a few more tweaks to perfection. Then it was off the bike and directly to the 5-mile run. This was where things got a bit tough. I was hot, I was tired, and I kind of just wanted to be done! But it was only one loop around Tempe Town Lake with and aid station half way, which seemed like hours to reach. I managed to finish this workout which I think earns a B. Can’t think of a way to bump this score up, shucks.

Eat…
Sleep…
Work…

Now it is Monday night and it is time for the 20-mile run. And let me tell you I did not think this was going to be pretty. BUT, after the first three miles my body and legs seemed to loosen up and just got into the grove. A “quick” 3 hours and 15 minutes later I was back at my driveway feeling like a million bucks. OK, maybe not a million bucks but at least ten bucks! I’m giving myself a grade of B for the run. It was a good, steady long run.

For my 3-day Ironman I am giving myself the final grade of B. I passed, I felt pretty good (most of the time), it was a solid performance, and I now have the confidence I had been looking for to complete the real deal in 5 weeks.

Extra Credit: Brilliant Idea! Let’s get up and swim Tuesday morning and then….DO BIKRAM YOGA on Tuesday night. I really wanted that A . After 90 minutes of lying flat on my back in a pool of sweat and managing only 30% of the poses, my yoga grade can not be much better than a D. But I am going to bump my grade up to a C because it took all the strength I had to stop myself from screaming at the instructor to “TURN THIS #$^)(@$ HEAT DOWN, I’M DYING OVER HERE!!!” In some ways this workout was a failure but as far as mental toughness training it was a success!

31 DAYS to go…

3 comments:

  1. Congrats on your 3-day IM and good luck in 31 days! I'll be thinking about you guys out there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, you are ready to rock this Ironman! Way to go on the three day! That training will serve you very well in the race.

    ReplyDelete

Feel Free to Comment