Thursday, August 13, 2009

One Hot Workout!


I started taking Bikram Yoga classes about 6 years ago when I lived in Boulder, Colorado. Since moving to Arizona my participation has dwindled. Seriously, who wants to take 90 minutes of yoga in a room heated to 105°F or higher with a humidity of at least 40% when it's 115°F outside? And once my training for Ironman really got rolling I just could not find a way to fit it into the already busy training schedule full of swims, bikes, and runs. Then this past week I came across an article in the East Valley Tribune about how athletes are using Bikram Yoga to help avoid injuries. Bikram expands lung capacity, increases flexibility, and improves your core and stabilizer muscle strength, leading to a less likelihood of overuse injuries in the long run. In addition to your body, Bikram is great for endurance athletes because it teaches you to remain calm in challenging, stressful situations by improving focus, determination, and endurance. In the article they spoke with professional triathlete David Glove. He spoke about how last year when he was training for Ironman he factored Bikram into his training schedule. He believed it was every bit as important as his long runs and 100-mile bike rides. This got me thinking about the nagging back and hip pain I have been suffering from (I have already tried medication, physical therapy, and chiropractic care). Maybe it is time for me to roll my yoga mat back out and start factoring Bikram back into my training schedule.
http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/141880

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel Free to Comment